Monday, August 13, 2012

Portland: Day 1


Well the 18 hour drive is over...for now. Our dinner reservations were made for 7 o'clock, so when we were passing through hood river we knew we had to stop at Full Sail once again for lunch and refreshments. For those of you who have been living under a rock, or just Mormon, full sail is a famous independent brewery, shipping their godlike nectar all over the nation.


I couldn't handle a full on pint so early in the afternoon, so me and Zach vouched for one of their two sampler trays: the reserve that contained special brews of different brew-masters as well as their delicious barley wine I have not been able to find anywhere else but the restaurant itself. I also really enjoyed the Belgian ale that utilized smoked hops. The food was also amazing, and much better then the ribs I had the first time I went there. I had a rueben with brisket and bacon. I'm drooling again....

For dinner we went to a restaurant and meat shop: The Laurelhurst market. I am a little ashamed to admit it was one of the most anticipated restaurants of the vacation, but certainly should not be the best. The environment was relaxing and the smells were wonderful, but by new york strip did not deliver and nothing better then I could have gotten at Jeffery's back in Moab. I was honestly disappointed they cut if before serving it to me and the flavor was just not there. However, the potatoes (Roasted French Fingerling Potatoes -- Black Garlic, Hazelnuts, Basil) were amazing, and the boys enjoyed their dinner. 






We wrapped up the night with the talk of the town ice cream shop: Salt & Straw. Salt & Straw serves only fresh homemade ice cream using seasonal local ingredients all the while coming up with some wacky flavors. I have been excited to try the Chevre Malonberry Habanero Jam flavor which turned out amazing. I wish it had been a little more spicy but it's hard to find others in the west with a palate like mine. Danzig had the strawberry ice cream w/ balsamic glaze. Luckily we didn't have to wait for an hour, and the line was much more mellow then Voodoo Doughnuts. 



1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome. I love the last photo - nothing in the world like a picture of a boy and his ice cream! I hope you're having a fantastic time, Kenzie!

    ReplyDelete