Friday, January 25, 2013

Delicious Steamworks brews and bites

You can refer to my explanation on the previous post about why you should visit steam-works brews, but of course I need to give examples of the food! So we ate three meals here, two for dinner and one for lunch why we left.

The first night I tried the plum infused Kolsh (cask beer). I wasn't too impressed. I don't get the whole cask thing: when they are trying to bring old school brewing back but this is a useless attempt because brewers have found much better techniques to store beer in modern day and age. There is a reason why they stopped storing in wooden barrels. Anyways, the Kolsh hardly had any plum flavor at all. Just a watery flat beer. The Lizard Head Red Ale was awesome though! It was so rounded with flavor and packed a punch.
That night I had the cornmeal crusted red trout with a cilantro-lime slaw and garlic mashed potatoes. I was stupid and thought it would be too dark to bring my camera along so no good pave photos, you just have to take my word.

Second night: I ordered the 3rd eye p.a. (very hoppy, almost some citrussy flavors, delicious also), and the gyro with a ceaser salad. The gyro was really good, the meat juicy and tender and the pita bread fresh. I know they had to have used pre-frozen meat because I've worked with it before. I still very much enjoyed it, and the salad was very different and inventive. The romaine was almost shredded because it was cut so thin. They garnished it with tiny roasted almonds that really gave it a nice texture and flavor element.

The third/last meal was probably the best. I ordered fish tacos that also had the cilantro-lime slaw and a Cuban aoili. Once again, I know there are slim chances of fish being fresh in Durango, but it still rocked. Two tacos and I was stuffed. Also, Thursdays are two dollar pint days! I had a different pale ale, and the steam engine lager which is very much like an amber ale in color and richness. Ziggy also enjoyed all of his meals, and actually ate almost everything. They serve the kids free ice cream as well, so he is the one who suggested we keep going back!

1 comment:

  1. M'kay. Those fish tacos are making me want to eat. I NEED fish tacos. Delicious! ...Oh, and lucky Zig, with his free ice cream!

    ReplyDelete