Friday, August 17, 2012

Portland Day 4: Beer Beer Beer

At last, more beer consumption! We began with the Bridgeport Brewery for lunch located in the Pearl's historic brewing district. I ordered a seasonal spiced harvest ale, the Witch Hunt. Zach had some kind of ale similar to barley wine. I knew without a doubt I had to order the Cottage Pie made with stout braised beef. It was similar to Shepperd's Pie but only meat and potatoes. It was presented beautifully in miniature cast Iron and was super rich and delicious. I could not eat the whole thing though I tried.

Afterwards we his the Ground Kontrol Arcade, also in the Pearl. They have all these vintage arcade games and pinball machines. I was hurting for some Galager time, and was stoked to see they had Area 51, a first person shooter that I have played countless times through childhood restaurant visits.


I was craving some more food cart time, even though I was still stuff from cottage pie. I order not just a gyro, but a super gyro, from a Greek stand. Yes I only ate a few bites, It was a monster. Of course it was delicious. There was so much lamb in it! 

Another restaurant I've been wanting to try is Vindalho, a popular Indian restaurant on the hipster scene. This was the first time I did not feel stupid for making reservations-it was packed! Everyone was socializing, laughing, and genuinely having a good time (well not everyone but we won't go there). I started with a Mint Julep which was a very good size drink. I could do with a little less fresh mint floating around in the glass, it became hard to avoid swallowing most of it. We both got Honey Cumin chicken wings and I also ordered mussels steamed in coconut milk. Both plates were delicious. The mussels just melted in my mouth.






1 comment:

  1. I love Gyros. And that Shepard's Pie looks awesome! And the beer! Okay. I need to stop reading this. *drool*

    ReplyDelete