Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Portland day 2: A day for play

We started off with The Country Cat, a place I have not eaten but have dreamed of eating and even dreamed of doing my future externship from culinary school too. The country cat was opened after to chefs met in culinary school. He's the butcher, and she makes the sweet yummies.I do not know how else to describe it but that it serves strait up delicious southern cuisine with Portland's fresh ingredient scene. They serve brunch and dinner, the brunch consisting of fried chicken with maple syrup, chicken fried steak with Worcestershire gravy, eggs Benedict, and so on.You can probably tell what i ordered.



My plate was only 12 bucks or so. Holy crap that was a big chicken fried steak. I haven't seen anything like it since going to a real black eyed peas down in texas. The bacon was the icing on the cake. It was just freaking delicious: Thick cut, with a tad bit of pepper and a hint of maple. The Country Cat is also in a more mellow part of town (Stark St.). We found parking easily right across the street from the restaurant, and inside the cat had a reasonable crowd. I would of course go again, and now dream of trying the Eggs Benedict.

We then headed of to Ziggy's day: The Children's Museum. My friend Cat told me about this place but I didn't realize how bad ass it was and how much fun Ziggy would have. The parking lot was pretty crazy because it is located right next to the zoo, but we got lucky and got in fast.Some of the exhibits including a building room with giant Lincoln logs and blocks, a water works center, a grocery store and the "butterfly bistro", an animal hospital, and the dig pits.




I am happy he had so much and we had a lot of fun playing with him. I admit I was little pushy for him to go to the grocery store and bistro, other then that I was on my best behavior.
We wrapped after the night with a trip to the Hop and vine bottle shop where we picked out glorious barrel aged nectar.

At last we stopped at Fratelli's, an Italian restaurant located in the heart of the Pearl District. It was relaxing and delicious. The server was very kind and on top of things, meaning he did not take forever. I started with wine and antipasti: a bruchette with caper mascarpone, house cured salmon, and pickled red onion. Wow it was amazing, and actually better then the shrimp fettuchini I ordered. I wished I would have just ordered bruchetta for dinner.
All in all a relaxing, well deserved meal. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay - My comments are: That bacon is as big as the Zig man, that's an awesome beer cooler to be in, and the bruschetta - I want their recipe. I'm so excited to be seeing/hearing someone ELSE'S food experiences! Enjoy, Kenzie!

    ReplyDelete