Friday, January 25, 2013

Durango-Silverton Railroad

Really our whole point for going to Durango for a few days was to ride the railroad: one of Ziggy's Christmas present. It was also my first train ride. The train was built in the 1880's from Durango to Silverton for mining purposes. The station is still in its original location and has been open to the public for years and years. During the winter it only goes about halfway: to Cascade Canyon.

The train operates very slowly, it takes two hours each way and we got out in Cascade to eat lunch and explore a little bit. The river is completely frozen in some sports, but is starting to break, and as the train descends you can see it slowly melting more and more.






1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful! My mom and dad took me on that train when I was about 10. I think that was in the summer, though...

    ReplyDelete