Thursday, December 29, 2011

Newport, OR: Local Ocean Seafoods

The closest i have come to the beach is The Gulf of Mexico in Corpus Christi, TX many many years ago. So, when we visited Portland i was ecstatic to take my son and I to the coast. It was hard to choose which small town to visit-i was leaning towards Cannon Beach, OR. However, i decided upon Newport so i could take my son to the aquarium.

Of course the ocean was amazing, but i could hardly wait to eat some fresh seafood. Being from Utah, i never ever ever ever get to experience the joys of wild caught fish. Let me say now that i was disappointed with the main strip of Newport. Yes the view of the ocean was amazing, but i expected more of a typical dressed-up tourist town. Everything looked a little blah and ran down.

We finally found the restaurant on bay front area next to a board walk, where all of the fishing boats sat selling their product. The strip of restaurants and shops were bustling with that magical energy you can't quite describe. Any disappointment of Newport's lack of glam our went out the window.

So we sat down and at the Local Ocean Seafood. I had researched restaurants online and thought this was our best bet for a delicious, sit down meal. Of course the prices were quite high, which was what i had expected. All of the slightly nice restaurants in Oregon seem to be expensive unless you are eating at the food carts. My husband ordered a hamburger because he isn't much of a fish person. I ordered the pan fried oysters. The restaurant was small and there weren't too many people. We seemed to get very slow service considering their were three servers for such a small amount of people. There has also been many times where our family has been treated with prejudice-in the sense that we are very young with a young child and look very plain. I have a feeling that the servers did not find us very important. It took them a very long time to even get my husband a refill, and i did not get my cup of coffee until after the food came.



As for the food, it was good-but not amazing. I think this was partly my fault for being a little money worrisome and settling with the battered oysters instead of the dungness crab that i actually wanted. The hamburger was just a hamburger, though it definitely didn't lack meat. I would recommend it someone but only because i have no knowledge of other Newport restaurants. If anyone has any suggestions on Oregon coast restaurants-please speak up!

No comments:

Post a Comment