Friday, January 25, 2013

My tribute to Steamworks Brewery!

Zig and I took a mostly Zig vacation to Durango so we could ride the Durango-Silverton train. At first I was excited about trying some new restaurants, of course the center around almost all trips for us. After two disappointing meals, one at a supposive great pizzeria and another at the Irish embassy that has terrible Shepherd's Pie, we ended up having three meals at the Steamwork's Brewery in the 2 1/2 days we were there.

Durango has an exceptional brewer scene for such a small mountain town. These include Steamwork's which is by far the largest restaurant/brewery, Ska Brewing, Carver's, and Durango Brewery.

On our first night we headed over to Steamwork's, I really needed a awesome beer after driving three hours then swimming for a couple more hours at the Rec center. I wasn't expecting much as far as the experience. I know how the Brew Pub scene is, when food and service is usually an after thought to the beer. We were seated right away. There were many families, it was noisy, nothing I didn't expect, but when fifteen minutes floated by and we hadn't even been greeted by our server I'm thinking "Great, I knew it."

This is where I mentally put my foot in my mouth: The young woman who was our server came and apologized for our wait. This is usually good enough for me, I know how things get backed up without it being anyone fault really. I ordered a beer for myself and a milk for Zig. It took another ten minutes for her to come back with our drinks, and when they did she insisted she was would buy my beer that night. I'm thinking "Wow, that's awesome of her." It was about another ten-fifteen minutes for our food to arrive, and the supervisor personally brought us the food and apologized again for the wait and told us my entree was on the house as well. The server kept apologizing, and made sure we had everything we needed.

I have never really received this great of service when things started getting backed up for a restaurant, especially at my local brewery. I usually don't even get an apology for the wait, let alone for multiple employees to go out of their way to make sure my dining experience was turned around. Steamwork's has won me over not along with awesome service, but delicious food and beer. They have taken pub food to the next level, where you can have higher class meal at an exceptional price.

No comments:

Post a Comment