Sunday, September 2, 2012

Seattle Day 3: Last Day of Vacation!

Today was the most excitable day of Seattle: Chinatown!
The International District in Seattle is a key point. There are many restaurants that serve amazing Dim Sum, and of course some awesome shopping goes along with it. We were going to go to the Jade Garden, the most popular, where they serve Dim Sum on a cart. I assumed they would be so busy and I knew we could still get some amazing Chinese and not have to wait for too long. So we went to 'Sichuanese Cuisine'.

Everything is cheaper in Chinatown, including parking thank god. We entered the restaurant and to a surprise and relief it was not packed at all (the advantages of eating lunch at 2 o clock). The menu was vast and very hard to decide what to order. I had heard that the 'boiled fish' was amazing there, so I decided on boiled beef since I was pretty fished out. The Chinese lady was super sweet, especially to that brat of mine. Another lady was at the table next to ours rolling egg rolls. I love that kind of shit! When our meal came I instantly regretted ordering so much damn food, we could have all shared two plates and been stuffed. The egg rolls were only so-so, but the rest of the meal made up of for it. Be prepared for some heavy greasy food if coming here, though this can be the style of Sichuanese.

Boiled Beef














Dinner was nothing to write home about but I will mention it. We wanted to some good BBQ and let me tell you:Seattle is NOT the place to go to for BBQ. With all the research I did I found nothing. We decided to go to 'Bitterroot'- which was the highest ranked bbq on Urbanspoon. We ordered a pulled pork sandwich. They gave us a tiny as bun with a crap load of meat on it. The meat was dry and I had to add loads of bbq sauce for flavor, as you an see. I also ordered cornbread that was some of he worse cornbread. It was dry and much too crispy on the bottom. Someone needs to teach Seattlers about cornbread.You really don't have to hipster everything out! Us southerns have been doing it right for decades, and it does not need changed.


Goodbye Seattle! Keep your amazingly high gas prices, non-kid friendly restaurants, and stupid 5 way intersections to yourself. (No but really we had a good time)though the BBQ was a downfall, I love how this city has so many authentic cuisine options, cooked by people of the ethnicity. Sometimes Portland chefs cross that cultural boundary that has been set long ago for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. Chinese sounds good, but that plate of BBQ looks a little 'foo-foo' to me. Look at all the empty space on that plate!! Heh heh. Sorry your vacation had to end, but I'm super glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete